MUSIC Cares' mission is to provide emotional support surgeons who have experienced an adverse event.
What is MUSIC CARES?
MUSIC has been focused on reducing surgical complications within the state in partnership with our surgeons. One aspect that is often ignored is the impact these complications can have on a surgeon's well-being. There is increasing evidence that shows surgeons who experience complications can have a negative impact on patient outcomes.
This group will focus on providing peer support to tackle the lows that may happen with protracted difficultcomplications but not clinical/technical advice.
What is MUSIC CARES working toward?
- Support individuals following unanticipated events as well as daily stressors
- Provide consistent and targeted system-wide support
- HARM: Be better prepared for it before it comes, and must deal with it better when it does happen
Frequently Asked Questions
MUSIC offers a Peer Support Network for its members who have experienced difficult events.
Peer supporters can talk with you about experiences with patient care, including unexpected outcomes. Peer support can be helpful to discuss stress, burnout, pandemic challenges, or any other work-related concerns.
The network is specifically designed to offer emotional support by connecting you with a trusted colleague who has been through a similar experience. The peer supporter will offer opportunities to have conversations, support, and provide referrals to additional resources, as needed.
The program is confidential. Any member of MUSIC can request peer support.
Please reach out any time you would like additional support from a peer. There are several ways to access the program:
- Contact one of the supporters: MUSICCARES@umich.edu.
- Anyone can refer a colleague to the program through our email address: MUSICCARES@umich.edu. The program coordinator will facilitate a connection with a supporter.
If you have more questions or would like additional information, the MUSIC CARES Program visit our website.
Peer supporters will not provide any clinical or technical advice.