MUSIC prostate‘s mission is to make Michigan the best place in the world for prostate cancer care.
What is MUSIC Prostate?
The prostate is roughly the size of a walnut and sits right below the bladder, surrounding the urethra which is the tube that carries urine from the bladder out through the penis. The prostate and seminal vesicles (two, smaller paired glands attached to each side of the prostate) are part of the male reproductive system and their main job is to make fluid for semen. If prostate cells grow abnormally, they can form a tumor, in the prostate gland. Tumors can be either benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous); this is determined by undergoing a prostate biopsy.
The choice of treatment for prostate cancer depends on factors related to the severity and extent of the cancer, as well as your preferences related to the benefits and side effects of treatment. Talk to your doctor and your family as you consider what treatment option is best for you.
What is MUSIC Prostate working toward?
- Improve prostate biopsy outcomes among men with newly diagnosed prostate cancer
- Enhance the quality of prostate MRI and fusion biopsy in Michigan
- Enhance treatment appropriateness for localized prostate cancer patients
- Improve short term recovery and functional outcomes for patients undergoing prostate removal surgery
- Improve the technical quality of radical prostatectomy (prostate removal surgery)
- Safely limit, if appropriate, the number of opioid tablets a patient receives following prostate removal surgery