Enhancing the Safety of Prostate Biopsy
What is the MUSIC Prostate Biopsy Initiatives?
- Goal: Making Michigan the safest place to have a prostate biopsy.
- Our current focus is the implementation of transperineal (TP) biopsy to further reduce the risk of infectious hospitalizations and optimize antibiotic stewardship across Michigan. This procedure can be performed in the doctor’s office under local anesthesia and takes less than 15 minutes.
- Focused on reducing the rate of adverse events after transrectal ultrasound guided (TRUS) prostate biopsy as a diagnostic tool for prostate cancer.
- Reduce prostate biopsy related hospitalizations by addressing fluoroquinolone (antibiotic) resistance.
- As a collaborative, post TRUS biopsy infectious hospitalizations were reduced by 50% across the state.
What we do?
- MUSIC is implementing an office-based transperineal biopsy technique to further reduce infectious hospitalizations and optimize antibiotic stewardship across Michigan.
- Provide education and training for sites interested in performing the transperineal biopsy technique under local anesthesia
Educating Patients on how to Manage Pain and Urinary Symptoms following Ureteroscopy
MUSIC TP Biopsy Site Assessment Document
MUSIC TP Biopsy Template
MUSIC TP Biopsy Getting Started/Equipment Needs/Ordering Information
MUSIC TP Biopsy Modifier-22 Document
MUSIC TRUS Prostate Biopsy Bundle
Antibiotic pathways, MUSIC biopsy check list, a urinalysis recommendation, and needle disinfectant technique
Standard Transperineal Biopsy Technique Videos:
Full biopsy procedure using the MUSIC TP biopsy template, biplanar probe, and precision point device from Perineologic
Full biopsy procedure using the MUSIC TP biopsy template, Mindray biplanar probe, and needle access guide
Short video on how to administer local anesthesia during the transperineal biopsy procedure
Short video on the biopsy probe condom preparation
Prostate Biopsy Patient Video
Educational video for patients considering or undergoing a TP biopsy procedure on advantages, preparation, and what to expect before, during and after the biopsy