Optimizing imaging utilization and enhancing the quality of prostate MRI and fusion biopsies
What is the MUSIC Imaging Initiative?
- Goal: Improve patterns of care in radiographic staging of men with prostate cancer.
Current focus – MRI/fusion biopsy:Our focus is on improving the quality of prostate MRI and fusion biopsies throughout Michigan
- Optimizing imaging utilization for patients with newly diagnosed prostate cancer.
- To better understand the current rates of utilization and ensure that imaging studies were being ordered for patients that could truly benefit.
- MUSIC was able to achieve a statewide decrease in the utilization of both bone and CT scans for patients with low-risk prostate cancer.
- To optimize imaging in intermediate/high-risk patients, MUSIC developed and implemented statewide specific, evidence-based appropriateness criteria for staging bone scan and/or CT scan (see below).